Monday, June 13, 2011

A Rough Day

Well, after Cohen had such a good few days, today was pretty rough. The nurse tells me that that's kind of how the NICU roller coaster goes...3 steps forward and 2 steps back. This morning Cohen was getting his breathing tube suctioned and it got clogged and they weren't able to ventilate him. They had to take out his old tube and reintubate him. When they did this they found that he was bleeding from his lungs. At this point, they aren't really sure what is causing it, it it was trauma from the tube or if its a problem because of his PDA. They were going to do his echo this morning but at that point he wasn't stable enough for that. He also had to go back on his oscillating ventilator, the "shaker" ventilator we call it, that he was on before.
So he's had a pretty rough day, but his doctor came by this evening and said that considering all that has happened he is actually doing ok and that he seems to be behaving. His blood gases are stable and his chest xrays aren't getting worse. His blood counts were also ok so they are hoping that the bleeding has stopped. They said that this evening he would have been stable enough to do his echo but that it would probably get done in the morning. This will tell them a little more about his PDA and whether it is significant enough to need treatment. At this point, they don't want to give him the medication to close it because of the bleeding in his lungs. They will either wait a few days to  make sure the bleeding has stopped and then give it to him, or he may have to have surgery to close it.
It has been a pretty hard day on his mommy and daddy too. Danny is coming down tomorrow after work to stay the night with us which is good. Right after they told us about everything that had happened there was a baby in the room next to us who died. I could hear them working on the baby and then eventually that he/she had died. It was heartbreaking. We are glad that Cohen is a fighter, but he has a long way to go. It is hard to be in a situation where we are completely out of control and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't struggling with trusting the Lord completely in this situation. I know that he is here, and I know that he is watching over Cohen, but I still struggle. So please keep me in your prayers and pray that my faith will grow stronger through all of this.

6 comments:

  1. Indeed you and your families our in our prayers. Yes we struggle because we don't know moment by moment and we can't even plan because the moments change. We encourage you both to press on, In His strength, And thank you for the truth of your testimony, It help's us know how to pray for specifically. Tim Dillinger

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you guys Jana. I'm praying that God will completely heal Cohen and that the drs will be blown away and not understand how. Our God is the God of the impossible. Your strength and faith is a huge help/encouragment to others!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jana! (and Danny and Cohen!) I've been following along with your journey and am praying for you! It may be tough, but stay strong! It sounds like Cohen is a little fighter. :) ~Karissa V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you guys! My heart aches everytime I think of what you've been through. Just from what I know, it sounds to me like little Cohen got his "fighter" traits from mommy & daddy! Praying for strength for the two of you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes you just don't know what to say and all you can do is pray. I pray for your little man that has to be so strong through so much. I pray that through your grief, heartache, and your worry that it will not overcome you. And most of all I pray for strength and healing that only God can give. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13

    ReplyDelete