Monday, June 27, 2011

Kangaroo Care

We are doing a little flashback today, this is the first time I got to do kangaroo care with Cohen! I had held him one other time, but he was all wrapped up and we didn't really get to snuggle. This was one of the best days of my life! 

Today I was left by myself for about 12 hours, it was a big step. I did manage to walk to the market and find myself a sandwich and get myself to the hospital....it only took me an hour because I missed the bus twice. I don't have a car here because my license expired while I was in the hospital and I haven't quite gotten a chance to get it renewed. But, eventually I got myself there. I guess I'm not very good at being a big city girl, even though I lived here not too long ago.
When I finally got to the hospital the nurse asked if I wanted to do my first kangaroo care. Of course I said YES! I've held Cohen before but he was all wrapped up in a blanket and it was only for about 20 minutes. When they do kangaroo care they like to have you all settled because they like to leave the baby there for up to 3 hours. So I had my snack, made a bathroom trip, did my pumping and settled myself in the recliner chair. They put him on my chest so we were skin to skin and it was such a great feeling. I could feel his little feet and hands wiggling and feel his breathing. He did great the whole 3 hours, he only dropped his heart rate and oxygen once or twice when people came in to look at his rash (which is looking much better). I know that he is tiny, but when I was holding him I realized how tiny he really is. It didn't really even feel like I was holding anything! The time flew by and I really didn't want to give him back, but hopefully we will get to do that a little more often. I would love for Danny to be able to hold him because I think they would both really enjoy that.
The rest of the day was pretty quiet again. Cohen is hanging out on his ventilator settings. His blood sugars have been stable and they are going to take out his picc line tonight. They also want to increase his feedings so that he gains a little weight. Right now he weighs 1 lb 10 oz so its time to fatten him up. We are so thankful for Cohen and that he seems to be doing well. And this mom is pretty happy that she got to hold her baby boy... I think God knew that I needed a little snuggle time.

5 comments:

  1. I love it Jana! What a beautiful moment!
    <3 Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! This brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww - so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was definitely a tears of joy read! I'm so glad you got to spend some time loving on your little man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww ... so sweet!! That must have felt so so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete