Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter

Easter has taken on a new meaning for me. I've heard the Easter story over and over since childhood. I have always known the facts that Jesus died on the cross and rose again after 3 days.

This year, I feel like I have a different understanding. I can relate to the pain that God must have felt watching his son die. And, he understands my pain because he has been there too. He knows what I am going through. Although the circumstances are obviously very different, I know what it's like to feel your heart break and to experience the loss. And God allowed this to happen, for you and for me. I'm not sure I can say that I would ever be able to give up my son's life for someone else's, especially a bunch of sinners.

The importance of Jesus' death and resurrection have also taken on a new meaning. There is a new depth of understanding in the fact that without Jesus, without his choosing to die and overcoming death, we wouldn't have the hope of seeing Carter again. Some days, knowing that I will get to see Carter again is one of the only things that keeps me going. I can rest in the knowledge that my son is safe and even better, he is in the presence of the one who created him! I am thankful for a love so deep that someone would give up their own life for me. Someone who would take on every single thing I ever have and will do wrong and take my punishment and then allow me to be in heaven with him forever. So thankful for what God has done for me!

I'm not scared of death anymore, it has been conquered! That has never been more real to me than this year.

If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge aginst those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died - more than that, who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 
                                                                                              Romans 8:31-39

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. Since our parents passed away, Easter has been one of my favorite days. Such hope that Jesus paid the price for our sins and to know I will see them again. I was in bed the other night not sleeping of course, thinking of Easter, and AMAZED by the fact that ONE DAY I will run to Carter when I see him and hug him and tears of JOY will be running down my face, as they do when I hold Cohen, or think of his smiles at me! No longer will there be tears of grief and sorrow for the what could have been. I know he is in heaven and I am so thankful for that.

    I always think of a couple verses of one of my favorite songs:

    God sent His son, They called Him Jesus. He came to love, heal and forgive. He lived and died, to buy my pardon. An empty grave is there to prove my Savior lives.

    How sweet to hold a new born baby, and feel the pride and joy he gives. But greater still is that assurance the child can face uncertain days because He lives.

    And then one day, I'll cross that river. I'll fight life's final war with pain. And then as death gives way to victory. I'll see the light of glory and I'll know that He lives!!!

    Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
    Because He lives, all fear is gone.
    Because I know, I know, I know He hold the future.
    And life is worth the living just because He lives.

    Happy Easter Dear Kimmels!!

    ReplyDelete