Thursday, May 19, 2011

23 weeks and a Trip to UW

We went in today (well I guess technically its yesterday now) for our weekly checkup at our OB office in Bellingham. I had been having quite a few more contractions the last couple days. The first thing they did was check my cervix and it had changed quite a bit, last week it was 2.9 cm long and this week it is 1.4 cm. They also could see one of the babies membranes (part of their little bubble) down in the funneled part of my cervix. Also, when they went to check the fluids of the babies, they were awfully confused about what was going on. The ultrasound tech went to get the Dr who came in to look for himself. From what they could see it appeared as though Baby B now had too much fluid and Baby A had the lesser amount. They can tell the babies apart because Baby A has that little deposit in his heart, so they were able to tell for sure which baby is which. However, they weren't really sure what to make of that and I don't really know either. They were mostly concerned about my cervix and the amount of contractions I had been having so my Dr called the Drs down here and they said I should come to UW and get admitted so they can watch me. Danny and I ran home to get a few things and then came down to the hospital. They got us checked in right away and just listened to the babies heart rates. They also put me on a little monitor to check my contractions and I was having them every 2-3 minutes. For tonight, they are just going to watch me and then one of the perinatologists I have seen in the UW clinic is coming in tomorrow to discuss "the plan".
Since we are only at 23 weeks there is not a whole they would do if the babies are born. If we make it to 24 weeks it is still a 50/50 chance that the babies would make it. I have heard lots of stories about people who have been in similar situations whose cervixes have stayed the same and not changed and they were able to go to 28-30 weeks. I sure hope that is the situation. My heart can't handle very many more of these "your babies aren't viable so we need to decide what we would do" conversations.
Please pray for us as we meet with the Drs today. We want to do what is right and best for our babies and I know we are going to have to make some hard decisions. It is a really stressful situation and we are trying to be optimistic. Its so hard to feel my babies moving around and hear their hearts beating but to know that if they are born now they wouldn't survive. Please also pray for Danny. He came down to UW with me and left at 2:30 am this morning to go to work. This is stressful for him and not getting very much sleep doesn't help. My mom is coming down in the morning so that someone can be here when they do my ultrasounds and chat with the drs.
It is 3:00 am and I woke up when Danny left and then needed a little snack. I'm hoping I can get a little more sleep before all the activities of the day start. Please keep our little family in your prayers.


  1. Praying for you and Danny....for wisdom, peace, and a sure knowledge of how much you Heavenly Father loves you and is caring for you and your little ones.

    ~Naomi Jenkins

  2. Praying for you.

  3. praying for you guys. if you need anything, meals, house cleaning, me or have your mom call me, and i'm on it!

  4. Jana...You two (well, four actually) have been in my thoughts and prayers. I will continue to lift you all up. ~Katie