Saturday, December 17, 2011

Balloons

I think Carter likes balloons. At his memorial service we had the kids write messages to Carter and tie them to balloons. After the service we let them go and watched them fly up to Carter. Whenever we got balloons, from a baby shower or somewhere, I always take them to Carter's grave. A few weeks ago, around their 6 month birthday, I went to visit Carter and I noticed someone had put a green star balloon on his grave. I have since driven by and noticed that the balloon was on the ground. I stopped by today to visit and the balloon was still on the ground. It wasn't tied to anything and could have long since floated away but it was just laying there on the ground. I stayed and talked to Carter for a few minutes and then picked up the balloon and put it in the car to take to the trash. Once I put the balloon in the car and let go, it suddenly started floating again, just like that. It was like Carter was just saying "Hi mom, I'm doing okay, see?" I know it sounds a little crazy, but I do believe that sometimes he sends me little messages when I need them the most. Today it was in the form of a green balloon. I didn't put the balloon in the trash. I drove home with it in the car and thought it would have been like to have Carter to actually talk to instead of a balloon and about the places I would take him to see. I was going to take the balloon inside for Cohen to look at but as I got out of the car I looked up at the sky and saw a little patch of blue sky among the dark rainclouds. And I let the balloon go. I let Carter go back to his playing, but I'm so glad he stopped by to say hi to his mom and let me know that he was okay. Thanks little buddy, I needed that.

1 comment:

  1. Jana~Thank you for sharing this moment with us all. As I read about your experience, I was picturing Carter up in Heaven smiling down on your family with balloons in hand. What an amazing gift Carter gave you!

    ReplyDelete