Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Healing

While talking with my therapist, she was telling me how I am in a sort of rehab. Like if someone is preparing for surgery and they know they are going to have to do exercise etc and slowly gain back their strength to be able to heal.

I told her that what it was more like going into surgery to have carpal tunnel surgery and waking up to find that they cut both your legs off. Something you thought was going to make your life better and cause you less pain and bring you joy at the things you will be able to do actually turns out to be a huge loss and you are devastated. Instead of having an easy surgery that will bring good results, you are learning to live a whole new life while missing a part of yourself and you will never be the same. And you certainly weren't prepared to live your life like this. What seems to be routine for so many other people turned out horribly for you.


Don't get me wrong, I am SO thankful for Cohen. If you read here much hopefully you know how in love with him we are. I think sometimes people feel like even though we lost a child, we still have one and that somehow balances it out. It doesn't. I still lost my son. We know that it could have turned out worse and that we could have lost both boys. We don't need to be reminded of that.

My therapist usually makes me feel better because she acknowledges that our losses have been huge. She helped me to understand that I'm not only grieving the loss of one thing, I'm grieving the loss of many...my child, my normal pregnancy, my twins, my job, my dreams, my life as I once knew it. I know that in the long run, not all of these things will turn out to be bad, but I am in my rehab healing and trying to figure out how to get back to a place where I am happy. I want to be happy, I really do. And I know it will come some day. Of course I have days and moments where I am happy, but I want to feel happy overall. My job for the week is to tell myself that "it won't always be like this".

6 comments:

  1. I love your honesty! And I love the carpal tunnel/ legs amputated analogy. Great way of describing this journey. I think it is so good that you are in therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love your honesty. I think writing is probably a great part of your own healing and at the same time, you are helping so many other moms. I think you are doing a great job dealing with what you have been given. I can't believe people would even tell you things like "well, at least you have one". I felt that way when my babies were in the NICU when I would tell my family about their brain bleeds, etc. They would tell me things like, "well, it could be worse." Don't they know that I know that better than anyone? No one would ever expect a mom of full-term babies to be content with brain bleeds. They also would never expect a mom of full-term twins to be content with bringing home only one baby. I'm not sure why the standards of expectations are different between moms of preemies vs. moms of full-term babies. Really, I think people just don't know what to say. I pray for healing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to echo what Lindsay and Michelle said. You are a step ahead of many who never seek out help. You would be surprised how many will be reading this that will be encouraged, too. Through your own healing you are taking many of us on your journey and I just want to thank you for that! Know that I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is encouraging to me and I hope you continue to write openly about your feelings of loss as you navigate through this journey. I haven't lost a twin but I did just have boy/girl twins at 24 weeks and recently got home from a 114 day stay in the NICU. I mourn for the "normalcy" that every other mom experiences with such a happy occasion. Your post speaks to me in a lot of ways. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys :) I know that anyone who has experience a preemie and the NICU does their own healing too. I think anyone who doesn't have a "normal" birth grieves the loss of that. I know I sure do! Thankful for this little community we have and that are people who understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really related to this. It's so true. I feel like I've lost many things because of losing Elias. One of those things is realizing that I'll never be the same. Of course joy can be found in the 'new me', but in a way, you have to mourn that aspect of the loss too. We will always be moms who've lost a child. Always.

    ReplyDelete