Thursday, October 6, 2011

And so It Goes

You are never really off the NICU roller coaster. Cohen has made progress on his list. But he had his ROP check yesterday and one of his eyes is getting worse. They want to recheck it on Wednesday so there is no point sending us home Monday. If it looks any worse he will have to have laser surgery on his eye. This terrifies me because they would have to intubate him again. I think my heart just couldn't handle seeing him with that tube again. We just want Cohen to be better and once again, there is nothing we can do to make it better. It's hard not to get discouraged when we feel like we are so close, but so far at the same time. After we got this news yesterday I was just really bummed. I heard this little voice say "Trust God". And honestly, my first reaction wasn't to say okay, yes, I will trust. He has brought us through all of this and I know he won't leave us now. Nope, my first thought was to want to stomp my feet on the ground and throw a tantrum like a 5 year old and to yell something about it not being fair. To yell something about us just getting a break once in awhile. But, I have to continue to hold on to the things I know are true. So please pray that Cohen's eyes don't get worse, or even that they get better. And if he does have to have surgery, well...we'll cross that bridge later. Pray for our hearts as this has been a long, long, long journey and we want this part to be over.

Other than that Cohen is getting his list checked off nicely. And Happy 4 Month Birthday to Cohen (yesterday)!

1)Pass a carseat test - Cohen has to sit in his carseat for 90 minutes and not have any ABCs (drop his heart rate or oxygen) He is doing this as I type....he is 40 minutes in, so far so good. DONE!

2) Have another cranial ultrasound to check on his brain bleed. He had a Grade I on one side after he was born. This is the lowest one, so that's good. It was resolving at the one they checked last month. Also good.

3) Have his labs checked tomorrow to make sure he is still doing okay on his oxygen settings.  His labs were really good!

4) Have an eye exam
Boo...see above.

5) Pass a hearing test Passed no problem! even pooped during the test. I think that's his way pf getting back at people for messing with him.

6) We have to find a pediatrician and schedule an appt for Tuesday if he gets discharged Monday

7) Get all of his discharge teaching...learn how to deal with his feeding tube and oxygen

8) Maybe have another echo?

9) Have a test done where they insert dye into his bladder and kidneys to make sure there is no damage from a UTI he had long, long ago

10) Get his 4 month immunizations

11) Run to the store for special bottles and preemie nipples and whatever else we need for him to come home

No comments:

Post a Comment