Friday, February 15, 2013

22 Weeks


I was waiting to do our 22 week post until we went in for our ultrasound today. At the beginning of the week, I started to feel what I thought were contractions. They felt eerily similar to the ones I felt with the boys, although less regular. I drank a few big glasses of water and laid down and they seemed to get better. I decided to wait it out and see how I was feeling the next day before I called my OB office. The next day I had a few more so I decided to call. Of course when I called in it was my good doctor friend from my first appointment. But, I already had an appointment scheduled for Friday so I just told them I didn't think I needed to come in sooner but that I wanted to let them know just in case. I may have also hunted down one of my better liked OBs while I was at work and talked to him to make myself feel better.  I continued to have more off and on throughout the week but nothing too major. It was hard not to let that fear and worry come up and take me over. Of course I was nervous, but I tried to just carry on and get through until Friday.

We got to our ultrasound today and I was so relieved to see a nice, long closed cervix with no funneling at the top. The baby is back to being breech, which I had already told Danny I suspected based on the amount of kicking I was feeling. I had started taking Ibuprofen earlier in the week to see if it helped the contractions so I can stop that now that we know everything is okay and carry on!

I can't tell you the amount of relief I feel every time we go in and see our baby boy bouncing around and that all is okay. It's like I have this huge weight lifted off my shoulders and I feel like at least until our next appointment gets closer I can breathe a little easier. The every two week appointments are really working out well because it doesn't quite give me enough time to panic in between but enough time that I'm not there constantly. Right now my life is measured in two week increments and it helps me to have an appointment around the corner to focus on.

And so, another good report for the little man. I am so thankful. I told my doctor that I would probably continue to err on the side of caution and he used an analogy that when someone is struck by lightning, they don't expect it to happen again and they hope it doesn't happen again, but it doesn't mean that they don't look up at the sky. We continue to hope and pray for "normal", but we still have that fear in the back of our minds. I'm thankful that so far, it comes and goes and we are able to carry on and work through it.


2 comments: