Wednesday, August 15, 2012

3rd Anniversary

Danny and I will are celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary today! Probably needless to say, this has been a long, hard year for us. We spent our last anniversary camping, a little bit "away" but within close distance to the hospital and with cell phone service so we could get back to the NICU quickly if needed. In some ways it feels like we have been married way, way longer than 3 years (in a good way).

As I see new couples getting married and saying their vows, I can't help but think back to the day we said our vows.

... to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part...

As we said these vows, we knew that there would be bumps in the road, but we had no idea the mountains we would have to climb and the valleys we would go through.

As newlyweds, you have a lot of dreams and plans for your life together. You don't think about tragedy happening, especially so early on in marriage. Trials and adversity teach you about who someone really is. How people respond in difficult situations shows a lot about their true character. I have learned a lot about Danny over the last year. When you get married you think you know someone, but as you go through the deep valleys of life, you learn so much more. There is no way I would have made it through all of this without Danny by my side. There were days when we didn't even know what to say to each other, we would just climb in bed and cry for our boys.



Danny has been strong and brave. He has stood up for me and stood by me. He hasn't tried to "fix" me or caused me to feel like I need to move on. He knows when to cheer me up and when I just need to be sad. He lets me be a little old lady in my bathrobe and slippers at 6 pm. He has always allowed me to just be who I am, whether I am being rational or completely ridiculous (which happens often), and that's one of my favorite things about him. He is an amazing Dad to both of our boys. Cohen always gets the biggest smile on his face when Daddy gets home.

There's no way we ever could have known what we were going to go through on that day that we got married. But if I could go back and pick who I wanted with me on the journey, it would be Danny every single time. We have grown and changed in so many ways over the last 3 years both as individuals and as husband and wife. The more I get to know Danny and who he is, the more I love him even more. Happy Anniversary!!

4 comments:

  1. Love this and that picture! So pretty! Happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet, and that picture is so cute too. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I'm one of your regular blog readers from Vancouver, BC, and I so admire your wisdom and writing skills. Carol

    ReplyDelete