Friday, August 26, 2011

Time Away

Well, I can say that my time away from the NICU was indeed what I needed. We spent a few days away, calling in the morning and before bed to check on Cohen. We have received pictures from his nurses and know that they took very good care of our boy.

Mom and I drove home on Tuesday, stopping for a little additional retail therapy and a sugar fix at Krispy Kreme. Karen is having a "Due Date Party" for us in September so we also stopped to update the baby registry. I just didn't have the heart to take off the "twin" stuff so it is staying there. Danny and I had a "fruit and vegetable" dinner. We went to the Green Barn and picked out some stuff to eat. We are both getting sick of eating out and I have really been missing my fruits and veggies.
{MMMmmm}

Wednesday I had a massage and it was so wonderful. I came home and lounged around, did some laundry, paid some bills, did a little cleaning, picture organizing, and some scrapbooking. I asked Danny what he wanted for dinner and he wanted to barbecue some ribs. Turns out they were buy one get one free at the store so we had quite a few ribs and not enough people to eat them. So, I did what any girl who lives within 5 minutes of most of her family does...called them all to come over and eat with us! We had a good time barbecuing and hanging out in the nice weather. The nieces and nephews had fun playing on the big dirt hill behind our house.
 {Master of the BBQ}

Thursday morning I got my hair cut. It was Danny's day off and it was SO nice out we decided to go up to Mt Baker and take a little hike. We went up to the Bagley Lakes Trail, where we went last year around this time. The majority of the trail was still covered in snow so we did our best, tromping through the mud and slushy snow, hoping we didn't slide into the lake. We drove past the lake that freezes over and becomes a sledding hill in the winter. This was where Danny made his first move on me! We had gone sledding with a group of friends and I was sitting at the top of the hill in my sled and he came and set next to me and leaned on me. The rest is history. We also did a few chores, taking Danny's car in to the shop for a check up only to find out he needs new tires. Boo (must have been those 12,000 miles) .


Overall, my time away was very restful and much needed. Cohen did wonderfully while we were gone! I feel like we are ready for the last stretch here. We just need to get Cohen to his happy place on his oxygen and get that boy eating! He got to practice breastfeeding tonight and he did really well. He looks like such a big boy in his bed. They also started him on bolus feedings today. Instead of constantly getting food, he is now getting 3 hours worth of food over 2 hours and then they will slowly increase how much he gets over a shorter amount of time. Although it will probably be awhile yet, we can't wait to have him home with us.
 
Please say a little prayer for the family of the 23 week baby. The baby isn't doing well and isn't expected to make it through the night. On our way out, one of the respiratory therapists said "Aren't you glad you don't have the sick baby anymore?" And yes, of course we are! We are so, so glad that Cohen has come so far. But, I don't like that anyone has to have "the really sick baby". There was a  time when we weren't sure if Cohen was going to make it. I texted my NICU friend as I was leaving the hospital and she said that it was an amazing feeling when you finally realize that your baby is going to live. I feel like tonight was the first time that I have felt really good about Cohen. It's hard to not have that lingering doubt in the back of your mind, the fear that you could lose your baby. I think we are really starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know we still have a few things to get through, but we are so thankful for how far God has brought our little miracle boy.

2 comments:

  1. You all have come so far...I am SO glad you had soem time to yourself and that Cohen did so good. I'm sure that helped to solidify the fact that Cohen is not "the sick baby" anymore. Love you guys. So glad he is doing so good and that you two are as well.
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about Cohen doing so well! I'll keep praying for him and also for the 23 week baby.

    ReplyDelete