Monday, February 3, 2014

Having a Baby after a Preemie

Having a preemie and having a term baby are such different experiences. There's the obvious difference of Ezra, other than a few hours in the special care nursery for his little scare, he didn't have to have a breathing tube, be supported by multiple machines, nurses and doctors or be weighed in grams. Our boys each have their own story and their challenges and successes will never be put against each other, but there are differences that are unavoidable because of their beginnings. 

With Cohen, I found myself always being anxious for him to get to the next stage. The next weight, the next increase in feeding, waiting for him to meet the "normal" milestones. I was always looking for what was next. Things had always been progress driven in his life and that's what I was used to. 

With Ezra, I feel like it's going way too fast. Of course with Cohen we always had a little extra time since he wasn't expected to meet milestones until his adjusted age (4 months after his actual age) and Ezra is living on the early side of meeting milestones (umm...pulling up to stand and cruising along furniture at 7 months, help me!) With him, I'm able to enjoy the phase that he's in and I'm not always so anxious for him to be at the next stage. 

It really is such a different journey to not have to wonder constantly Is this "normal"? When will he sit/crawl/walk? So different. It's also a little bit eye opening to watch the way Ezra has been developing and to realize the differences in a preemie/sensory challenged baby and a "normal" baby.

I am so proud of both of my boys and how far they have come. It's been so fun to be able to relax and enjoy having a baby. While it isn't without its challenges, it has been really fun to watch Cohen become a big brother to a sibling he gets to grow up with. I'm learning to let go of a little of the When, when, when stage and just let my boys be what they are going to be, when they are going to be it in their own time. Early or late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment